FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
SHARE THIS PAGE ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, WHATSAPP ... USING THE BUTTONS ON THE LEFT


YOUR PARTICIPATION FOR THE GROWTH OF PHYSICS REFERENCE BLOG

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Distinguish between an X-ray image of a body structure and a CT scan.


Question 7
(a) Distinguish between an X-ray image of a body structure and a CT scan.
X-ray image:
CT scan:
[5]


(b) Data for the linear absorption (attenuation) coefficient μ of X-ray radiation of energy 80 keV are given in Fig. 11.1.

metal                           μ / mm-1
aluminium                   0.46
copper                         0.69

Fig. 11.1

A parallel X-ray beam is incident on a copper filter, as shown in Fig. 11.2.


Fig. 11.2

The intensity of the incident beam is I0.

(i) Calculate the thickness of copper required to reduce the intensity of the emergent beam to 0.25 I0. [2]

(ii) An aluminium filter of thickness 2.4 mm is now placed in the X-ray beam, together with the copper filter in (i).

Calculate the fraction of the incident intensity that emerges after passing through the two
filters. [2]


(iii) Express your answer in (ii) as a gain in decibels (dB). [3]





Reference: Past Exam Paper – June 2014 Paper 42 Q11





Solution:
(a)
An X-ray image is a flat / shadow / 2D image regardless of the depth of the object.
The image from a CT scan is built up from (many) images at different angles. The image is three-dimensional and the image can be rotated (and viewed at different angles).


(b)
(i)
I = I0 exp(-μx)
0.25I0 = I0 exp(-0.69x)
{Since the beam is incident on the copper filter, we need to consider the linear attenuation coefficient of copper.
0.25 = exp (-0.69x)
ln 0.25 = - 0.69 x
Thickness x = ln 0.25 / -0.69}
Thickness, x = 2.0 mm

(ii)
{For a beam incident on a medium of thickness x1 and linear attenuation coefficient μ1, the transmitted intensity I is given by
I = I0 exp(-μ1x1)
Fraction of incident intensity that emerges: I / I0 = exp(-μ1x1)

For a beam incident on 2 media, one of thickness x1 and linear attenuation coefficient μ1, and the other of thickness x2 and linear attenuation coefficient μ2, the transmitted intensity I is given by
I = I0 exp(-μ1x1) × exp(-μ2x2)
Fraction of incident intensity that emerges: I / I0 = exp(-μ1x1) × exp(-μ2x2)

From the previous part,
For copper, I = 0.25I0             giving I / I0 = exp(-μ1x1) = 0.25}
For aluminium, I / I0 = exp (-0.46×2.4) = 0.33

{I / I0 = exp(-μ1x1) × exp(-μ2x2)}
Fraction of incident intensity = 0.33 × 0.25 = 0.083


(iii)
{When expressing an answer in dB, we need to take the log of the fraction.}
Gain (in dB) = 10 lg(I/I0)
Gain (in dB) = 10 lg(0.083)
Gain (in dB) = (-) 10.8 dB

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love your page. I purposely do old past year MCQs so that if i have a doubt i can just google it up and hope that i see Physics reference at the top of the search. You truly have helped students like me and i wanna say thanks. I know you have considered making an app but have you actually followed up on that idea? Would love to see it sometime in the near future. Thanks. love from malaysia

    ReplyDelete

If it's a past exam question, do not include links to the paper. Only the reference.
Comments will only be published after moderation

Currently Viewing: Physics Reference | Distinguish between an X-ray image of a body structure and a CT scan.