FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
SHARE THIS PAGE ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, WHATSAPP ... USING THE BUTTONS ON THE LEFT


YOUR PARTICIPATION FOR THE GROWTH OF PHYSICS REFERENCE BLOG

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

An electric current I is given in the list of formulae on page 3 as I = Anvq.


Question 4
An electric current I is given in the list of formulae on page 3 as I = Anvq.
What do each of the symbols represent for an electric current in a metal wire?







Reference: Past Exam Paper – March 2017 Paper 12 Q32





Solution:
Answer: B.

This is a basic recall question for those who have studied about the drift speed. The formula is already available in the list of formulae on page 3, so we only need to know what each term mean.


The electric current in a metal wire is given by: I = Anvq

A is the cross-sectional area of the wire (unit: m2)

n is the number of free electrons per unit volume (unit: m-3)

v is the average drift speed of electrons (unit: m s-1)

q is the charge of each electron (unit: C)


Overall unit on RHS: m2 m-3 m s-1 C = C s-1
This is the unit of current (= charge / time)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If it's a past exam question, do not include links to the paper. Only the reference.
Comments will only be published after moderation

Currently Viewing: Physics Reference | An electric current I is given in the list of formulae on page 3 as I = Anvq.